Sightseeing in European, Israeli cities, pictures, information, photo tours, attractions in Europa and Israel. Tips and tools for travelling in blog.

 

Vilnius In Spring, Taken On May 7-8, 2016.

Here is Rasos Cemetery gallery– click here…

 

  • A little word about Vilnius

Vilnius has been rapidly transformed, and the town has emerged as a modern European city. Many of its older buildings have been renovated, and a business and commercial area is being developed into the New City Centre, expected to become the city’s main administrative and business district on the north side of the Neris river. This area includes modern residential and retail space, with the municipality building and the 129-metre (423′) Europa Tower as its most prominent buildings. Vilnius was selected as a 2009 European Capital of Culture, along with Linz, the capital of Upper Austria. Its 2009 New Year’s Eve celebration, marking the event, featured a light show said to be “visible from outer space”. In preparation, the historical centre of the city was restored, and its main monuments were renewed. Besides the many official programs for the Cultural Capital year, there have been efforts to promote subcultural venues, such as the Kultflux and Vilnus Triennale program, showing young arts from all over Lithuania and Europe to a general public, both in public spaces, such as on the river shore of Neris river, and in several vacant buildings within the city centre.

  • Užupis

Užupis means “the other side of the river” in the Lithuanian language (Belarusian: Зарэчча, Polish: Zarzecze). The district has been popular with artists for some time, and has been compared to Montmartre in Paris and to Freetown Christiania in Copenhagen, due to its bohemic and laissez-faire atmosphere. On April 1, 1997, the district declared itself an independent republic (The Republic of Užupis). Since the first of November 2014 Jaap van Ark is president of republic Užupis.

Here’s other pictures of Vilnius:

Where to eat cheaply in Vilnius? Recommended ‘budget’ place in center of city for lunch, save money on food.

I recommend these addresses of this restaurant, take a look map. Relatively nice places for lunch, there you can eat dense for 7-10 Euro.


zooming
Of course, I want recommend the Gusto Blynine. Relatively nice places for lunch, there you can eat dense about 5-8 Euro.

Visit place to stay in Vilnius for more information.

 

A pictures and panoramas of Vilnius photo gallery taken:

14 of October, 2006.
09 of June, 2012.
7-8 of May, 2016.

Fast walk around central streets of the town. Szczuczyn town, Belarus.
Starting from the XVI century Szczuczyn (Schuchin) became a small town, making part of the Lida District, the Vilnya Province of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. An opening of the specialized school of the Catholic Monastic Order of Piares, founded in the year 1669, became an important event in the Schuchin history of the XVIII century. The Seym resolution as of the 1726 year ratified the Piares Collegium. Its founder was a Polotsk officer Khlebnizkiy Yuzefovich. The collegium was considered to be the most prominent one in Belarus, it owned a piares seminary and even a high school where even the Oriental languages were taught. The pedagogical and scientific activity of M. Dogel, К. Nar-but, S. T. Yundzil, A. Dov-gird, the important scientists of the XVIII — of the first part of the XIX century, is connected with Szczuczyn. A number of scientists, who made the science famous in many countries of the world, graduated from the Schuchin specialized school. Ignatiy Domeiko should be included in this number first of all.

Nowadays Szczuczyn is an administrative and an economical-cultural center of the Region. Such important enterprises, as the works “Avtopro-vod”, a creamery-cheese factory, a forest economy operate here. The following architectural monuments have been preserved: the Roman Catholic Church of Teresa (the year 1829), the St. Michael’s Orthodox-Church (Mikhailovskaya Church), the end of the XIX century.

Pictures taken in January, 17, 2009; July, 25, 2015.

Perched on a hill at the edge of the Judean desert just 5 miles south of Jerusalem, Bethlehem is the childhood home of the biblical King David. It is also the birthplace of Jesus Christ and has been a major site of Christian pilgrimage since the construction of the Church of the Nativity in the 4th century AD. The town has been a monastic center for almost as long. In the 5th century AD, St. Jerome built a monastery here and with the aid of local rabbis translated the Old Testament into Latin from the original Hebrew for the Vulgate, the standard Latin translation of the Bible used by the Roman Catholic Church. Bethlehem flourished until Crusader times, but the following centuries witnessed a great reduction in population, reversed only after the 1948 war with the arrival of thousands of Palestinian refugees.

Since 1995, Bethlehem has been under the control of the Palestinian National Authority, which has initiated a program of economic recovery and tourism. Despite the huge number of pilgrims and chaotic urban growth, Bethlehem retains an authentic atmosphere, especially in the central area around Manger Square and in the souk just to the west. The souvenir shops are filled with kitsch religious objects but also carved olive-wood crib scenes that local craftsmen have produced for centuries. No visitor should miss the ancient Church of the Nativity on Manger Square, and the town’s other main sights also deserve a visit.

Artists from Palestine and beyond have appropriated the Bethlehem wall and utilize it to spread messages of peace, hope, art and resistance.

This real photos in picture gallery have been taken on 28 of September – 02 of October, 2011.

wikipedia.org

Braunschweig is a city of 250,556 people, located in the state of Lower Saxony, Germany. A powerful and influential centre of commerce in medieval Germany, Braunschweig was a member of the Hanseatic League from the 13th until the 17th century, and the capital of the state of Brunswick until its disestablishment in 1946.
On 28 February 1974, as part of a district reform in Lower Saxony, the rural district of Braunschweig, which had surrounded the city, was disestablished. The major part of the former district was incorporated into the city of Braunschweig, increasing its population by roughly 52,000 people.

In the 1990s efforts increased to reconstruct historic buildings that had been destroyed in the air raid. Buildings such as the Alte Waage (originally built in 1534) and the Braunschweiger Schloss now stand again in their pre-war glory.

See photos of Braunschweig (including the glow of festive illuminations, the scent of hot mulled wine and roasted almonds, all among the most impressive, historical ambience),  in this travel photo gallery from Verde Wanderer. Pictures taken at 14 of December, 2013.

 

wikipedia.org

 

Rasos Cemetery (Lithuanian: Rasų kapinės, Polish: cmentarz Na Rossie w Wilnie, Belarusian: Могілкі Росы) is the oldest and most famous cemetery in the city of Vilnius, Lithuania. It is named after the Rasos district where it is located. It is separated into two parts, the old and the new cemeteries, by a narrow Sukilėliai Street. The total area is 10.8 ha. Since 1990 new burials are allowed only to family graves.

The year 1769 is cited in many sources as the date when the cemetery was founded. However, some historians believe it is a typo and the real date should be 1796. On April 24, 1801 the new cemetery was consecrated. Two days later Jan Müller, the mayor of Vilnius, became the first person to be buried there. A formal document was signed in July 1801. It specified that the cemetery received 3.51 ha of land and that the cemetery will be free of charge to all city residents. It was the first cemetery in Vilnius not located next to a church.

In 1802-1807 two columbariums were built. They reached up to five stories in height and were joined at a right angle. At the end of the 19th century the columbariums began deteriorating. In between the columbariums, a neo-gothic red brick chapel was built in 1844–50. In 1888 a matching belltower was added to the chapel. At first the cemetery was surrounded by a wooden fence, but it burned down in 1812. A brick fence was rebuilt in 1820 and portions of it survive to this day.

In 1814 the cemetery was expanded as authorities bought additional land from a city resident. The addition is now known as the Hill of the Literaries (Lithuanian: Literatų kalnelis). In 1847, members of the Eastern Orthodox church opened their own cemetery next to Rasos. It was used to bury soldiers from a nearby monastery hospital and poor city residents. Therefore, it became known as the Cemetery of Orphans (Lithuanian: Našlaičių kapinės).

After World War II, the Soviet authorities demolished the right columbarium and in the 1970s razed the left columbarium. The whole necropolis was to be destroyed in the 1980s as the Soviet authorities planned a major motorway to be built directly through the cemetery. Due to a press campaign led by the Polish-language Czerwony Sztandar (Red Banner) newspaper and economic difficulties, the destruction was halted. After Lithuanian independence (1990) and the collapse of the Soviet Union (1991), Lithuanian and Polish authorities collaborated in an restoration of the cemetery.

In 1920 a war cemetery was built near the entrance for 164 Polish soldiers who fell in the city during the Polish–Soviet War and Polish–Lithuanian War. It was rebuilt in 1935–1936 by Wojciech Jastrzębowski, who also designed the tombstone where the heart of Józef Piłsudski is enshrined.

Until September 18, 1939, when the Red Army entered the city, an honorary guard of three soldiers stood there at all times. Three unknown soldiers who refused to give up their arms to the Soviets in 1939 were shot on the spot and are now buried next to Marshal Piłsudski’s heart. Part of the cemetery contains graves of Polish Home Army soldiers, who fell during the Wilno Uprising. Their graves, demolished after World War II, were rebuilt by the funds of the Republic of Poland in 1993.

 

Rasos cemetery during All Saints Day – 360° panorama photo

On All Saints Day (also called as Helloween from the traditional of the Celtic’s folk) people like to visit graves of their relatives or just any graveyard to light a candle or a few.

 

 

See photos of Rasos in this travel photo gallery from Verde Wanderer. Pictures taken at 8 of May, 2016.

wikipedia.org